Do You Over Think Your Throw?
What most players don’t realize is that trying harder to make a good throw or pitch is actually binding them up…
Trying harder often makes ball players think more about how to make a good throw or have good mechanics when throwing or pitching.
But if you are focusing on your mechanics, your mind is stuck in a practice mindset, not a game-time mindset.
A hyper-focus on how your arm feel when throwing can actually prevent you from making a free throw.
When you focus too much on how your arm or hand feels:
- You are not reacting to the target.
- You are focusing too much on mechanics.
- You evaluate and judge how your arm or hand feels.
- You are too bound to the details of throwing and over thinking.
What’s the Solution to the Over Thinking?
First, stop judging how your arm feels at every step of the throw. When you judge how it feels (if it’s correct), this leads you to make adjustments mid-throw when you feel something is not right.
When you make those slight adjustments, such as with your release, your stuck in a practice mindset or analyzing and making compensations.
Second, you have to go back to throwing intuitively, which means you have to look and throw without the extra thinking.
However, this is easier said than done when your coach or dad is trying to work with you on improving your mechanics.
Related Article: Solutions For Throwing Yips
The Most Important Step
You must overcome the fear to free up your throw. Start by only focusing on the process instead of worrying about the outcome and aftermath (what others might think).
The fear of making a bad throw is what keeps your stuck in over control. The mind wants to control your arm when you are under stress or afraid of poor results.
The easy solution is to not think ahead, but at this point it’s hard to avoid worrying about what teammates will say if you miss.
And that’s why I created “Breaking the Yips Cycle” Audio and Workbook program for Ball Players. You must learn how to overcome the fear AND free up your arm before you go to the ball park.
Overcome Throwing Yips: How to Break The Yips Cycle
Do you (or a ball player) suffer from:
- Inability to throw or pitch freely (despite the fact that you can in practice)?
- Anxiety, tension and over control of their action?
- Performance anxiety about what others will think?
- Super low confidence with the yips-infected mechanics?
- Feeling like an alien has taken over your body and you have no control?
If you can throw well when alone, but can’t take it to games, this is a mental game issue and not a physical challenge!
The Yips Cycle is a vicious cycle that causes ball players to stay trapped in over thinking and over control…
Learn to throw or pitch freely again with my proven audio and workbook program:
“Breaking The Yips Cycle” is a complete brain dump of the TOP Eight mental training sessions I do with my personal coaching students to help them overcome the yips and play with freedom again.
The Audio and Workbook Program Includes:
- Two CDs (CD purchase only). 120 minutes of mental training sessions to help you gain greater freedom, focus on the right performance cues, and simplify your prepitch routines.
- MP3 Audio (Digital Download). 120 minutes of mental training sessions you can download to your computer right away while you wait for the CDs and workbook to arrive. (MP3 Audio value = $149).
- An 8-Session Breaking The Yips Cycle Workbook to guide you through my mental game sessions and to overcome the throwing yips (Workbook value: $149.00).
- Bonus Session: Practice drills to free up your throwing to help you improve consistency and stop focusing on mechanics when you play.
Download Our FREE Baseball Throwing Yips Report
Do you throw accurately in practice, but lose control in games?
Learn how to over come the throwing yips!
Download our FREE Throwing Yips Report and learn how to break the yips cycle and throw freely and confidently again!
What are ball players and coaches saying?
“Thank you so much for talking with our team. You are a great influence. The confidence material really helped me, and I will be working on that as long as I play and after. I can now step out there and just relax and play.”
~Melissa Riesberg, Clarke College Softball
Beat The Throwing Yips With Expert Mental Game Coaching!
Master mental game coach Dr. Patrick Cohn can help you overcome your mental game issues with personal coaching.
You can work with Dr. Patrick Cohn himself in Orlando, Florida or via Skype, FaceTime, or telephone. Call us toll free at 888-742-7225 or contact us for more information about the different coaching programs we offer!
What are our mental coaching students saying?
“I’ve had the yips for 30 years. With the anchor ban, I thought I needed to quit golf. It was frustrating hearing golf experts and commentators state that no amateur was going to quit golf because of the anchoring ban. Obviously, these experts don’t know anything about the yips. I’m so glad I found you. Your drills really helped. It might sound silly, but the biggest thing that helped me is knowing that the yips is mental. It might sound crazy, for someone to have the yips for 30 years, and not know it’s mental. I also believe I know my reason for having the yips, and I see how my insecurities in every day life contributed to the yips. Thank you for your help.”